Thursday, July 10, 2014

How to Fly Through the Air With the Greatest of Ease

It was midnight.  The phone rang.  Everyone was sleeping, except me.

Last month, I was babysitting my daughter's six dogs, three sheep and her cat.  The dogs were my crew to help shepherd my new BFF, Hurley the sheep and his two lady companions.  As a thank you for my week of house and animal sitting, daughter Rochelle gave me an incredible full day at a luxurious spa.  I shared this story in 'Will a Day at the Spa remove the Smell of Sheep?'  A full ninety minute massage took me to a state of relaxation I did not know existed.  Add a facial, mani, pedi and a dip in a mineral pool; I turned into spaghetti.  Standing up took effort and I wanted to stay this relaxed forever -- or at least a day or two.

Dakota is the oldest and biggest of the six dogs and he likes to sleep in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room.   He is well over 100 pounds, twelve years old and deaf.

By midnight, I was ready for bed when the phone rang. Who would be calling at this hour?  I knew my hubby was home sleeping and Rochelle was in Hawaii.  Quietly, getting up from the sofa, I carefully stepped over Dakota.  He had not heard the phone ring and was sleeping soundly.  Just as I was raising my leg to straddle over Dakota, he stood up.  He must have felt my steps.  

It was only a matter of a few seconds from riding on this large dog's back to being pole vaulted to the other side of the kitchen.  I landed flat on my face, hands and chest.  Lying there, the tears started to well up.  I wanted to laugh but it hurt too much.  I was paralyzed in pain.  The phone stopped ringing.

Dakota was devastated.  He knew he hurt me and didn't know what to do.  He licked my leg, gently hit my side with his big paw and stared at me.  "I am so sorry.  I did not hear you.  I did not mean to hurt you."

Finally, I was able to pull myself up holding on to the kitchen chair and assessed the damage.  I supposed one of my ribs was cracked, my hands were burned and I knew my face was going to be a pretty shade of blue or black in a couple days.  Sleep wasn't an option.  It hurt too much.

If you have ever had whiplash from an accident, you know it takes about three days for the initial aches to subside.  How was I going to take care of the animals the next day?  Somehow I managed, and Dakota stayed close to my side for the next few days, asking my forgiveness.  I needed another massage! 

Oh, and by the way.... the phone call..... it was a WRONG NUMBER.

Do you agree that dogs totally understand when they have done something to hurt you?  Do you have an experience you can share?

No comments :

Post a Comment