Today I am swapping questions with Christy Garrett of Uplifting Families. Christy is a full-time mom and blogger. She has an awesome blog giving daily encouragement to real families. She faces more than the normal challenges of motherhood as her daughter was born deaf and her son has attention issues. Please have a look at her answers to my questions about her life.
Here are the questions she has posed to me today:
1. My mother-in-law had a small lump in her breast and had to have it removed a few months ago. She is currently undergoing radiation and has to take medication for several years once she has completed radiation. What advice do you have to give for someone who is struggling to defeat cancer?
As a health coach, I hear these stories often and am able to encourage and help people regain their
health through nutrition. The body has the ability to heal itself if given the proper nutrients. I am a symtomologist which means I look at the symptoms or signals the body is sending out to determine what nutrients are lacking in order to realize optimum health. By adding the necessary nutrients, i.e. food supplements, the body can restore compromised cells, with incredible results.
2. I see that you are a foster mom for animals. I think that it is a great way to give back and save a pet's life. How did you get started as a foster mom for animals?
I was never a foster mom but we have rescued many dogs over the years. I love dogs and they have figured that out, because they FIND me, especially if they need to be rescued from abusive circumstances. To any dog lovers out there, I wrote 26 posts on dog stories, ranging from very funny to sad.
The story of Brandy chasing me down the road for miles is a very heart-warming humorous story. Then there was Zack, the Doberman who ran on three legs and Willow, a Husky cross we found tied to a dumpster after being shot. Willow is one of the sweetest dogs you will ever meet. Rusty was a Doberman we 'stole' during the night from a neighbor that was beating him. Those are some of the stories - all with very happy endings. The other 22 posts written in April 2014 are humorous dog stories that will most definitely give you a laugh.
3. We are currently trying to get our Yorkie to potty train and have tried rubbing his nose in it, giving him treats, crate training him and punishing him but nothing seems to work. Do you have any advice?
That's a difficult one without understanding the breed. I think that some of the smaller breeds have a mind of their own and it is a lot more difficult to train them. Have you done any research for advice about training Yorkies? It almost sounds like he may be confused. Have you tried a regular schedule of taking him out at the same time after he eats, wakes up etc.?
4. What is your favorite post that you have written since you started blogging?
There are so many of the dog stories that I absolutely loved, but one of my favorites is how a miniature Dachshund named Louis Vuitton motivated me to write my book. Another one of my favorites is Return The Child, He Is Not Yours To Keep which tells the story of how we lost our one- year-old baby boy.
5. Advice for a new blogger: If you could start blogging all over again, would you continue to use blogger or find your own self-hosted domain?
I think I would continue to use Blogger. I know there are a lot of people that don't like Blogger but I find it so easy to use. I prefer their Comment section to most of the ones I have seen. To me, that is one of the most important aspects of blogging - to make it easy to connect with your readers.
6. What is your favorite social media tool?
I am new at blogging and have not tried many tools that are available. I have built my blog from the seat of my "pants" and I know I have a lot to learn. I always appreciate any suggestions.
7. If you won a $500 shopping spree and you could only spend it on yourself, where would you go shopping and what would you buy?
That is really a tough question because I have a lot of trouble buying for myself. I always think "I really don't need that." and then buy something for my kids or grandson instead. I think I would enjoy spending it on gourmet foods.
8. What is your favorite 'me' time activity?
You ask the tough questions. I am a workaholic and 'me' time is not in my vocabulary. I suppose it would be a day the spa where I would not have computer and telephone access and forced to relax. My favorite and most fulfilling activity is public speaking and I would do it full-time, if possible. (Side note: I wrote this post a week ago and my daughter just gifted me with a full day at a phenomenal spa! She had no idea I had written this!)
9. If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?
That's an easy one because I have thought about this a lot. I would buy a new house and help my kids with whatever they needed; a house, vehicle or whatever!
10. What is your favorite breed of dog and why?
Another easy one! Doberman - hands down! They are incredibly intelligent, loyal to the core, gentle and affectionate. I never met a Dobie that wasn't a lap dog. Babe was our favorite Dobie, even though she was mixed with German Shepherd. To save her life we had to dye her coat black which is a pretty funny story.
Thank you so much for swapping questions with me, Christy. You asked great questions and it was a lot of fun. Everyone, please join me as we head over to the other bloggers in this challenge.
Meet Your #AskAwayFriday Hosts…
Tamara from Tamara Like Camera, Tiffany from Mrs. Tee Love Life Laughter, Christy from Uplifting Families, Stacey from This Momma’s Ramblings and Amber from Bold Fit Mom