I don't know about you but I tend to take quotes differently than a lot of people. I rarely take them at face value and I also feel that there are always a lot of exceptions to them.
|How do you perceive quotes?|
I am careful not to throw out a quote that is supposed to encourage someone when they are in the pits because it often makes them feel worse.
So, today when my friend sent me this little list of 'rules' for living, I couldn't help but retaliate in red:
1. Your shoes are the first thing people
subconsciously notice about you.
At my age, comfort is more important
2. If you sit for more than 11 hours a day,
there's a 50% chance you'll die within the next 3 years
I must be dead a long time ago
3. There are at least 6 people in the world who look exactly like you.
There's a 9% chance that you'll meet one of them in your lifetime.
Similar maybe, but 'exactly' - that's a stretch
4. Sleeping without a pillow reduces back pain
and keeps your spine stronger.
And makes my back hurt so bad I can't walk the next day
5. A persons height is determined by their father,
and their weight is determined by their mother.
I must be adopted?
6. If a part of your body "falls asleep",
you can almost always "wake it up" by shaking your head.
When I am trying to wake up my arm, I don't think about shaking my head
7. There are three things the human brain
cannot resist noticing -food, attractive people and danger
In that order?
8. Right-handed people tend to chew food on their right side
What if you only have teeth on the other side?
9. Putting dry tea bags in gym bags or smelly shoes
will absorb the unpleasant odour.
Ever hear of a washing machine?
10. According to Albert Einstein, if honey bees were to
disappear from earth, humans would be dead within 4 years.
This one I believe
11. There are so many kinds of apples,
that if you ate a new one everyday,
it would take over 20 years to try them all.
Better be able to prove it
12. You can survive without eating for weeks,
but you will only live 11 days without sleeping.
Like I said before, I must be dead
13. People who laugh a lot are healthier than those who don't.
14. Laziness and inactivity kills just as many people as smoking.
As does boredom......
15. A human brain has a capacity to
store 5 times as much information as Wikipedia
So where is that information when I need it?
16. Our brain uses the same amount of power
as a 10-watt light bulb!!
17. Our body gives enough heat in 30 minutes
to boil 1.5 liters of water!!
My body gives off enough heat to boil water in about 1.5 minutes
18. The Ovum egg is the largest cell and
the sperm is the smallest cell !!
19. Stomach acid (concentrated HCl)
is strong enough to dissolve razor blades!!
Do not try this at home!
20. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day
and while you walk, SMILE.
It is the ultimate antidepressant.
Especially if the guys in white coats pick you up for looking ridiculous
21. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
22. When you wake up in the morning,
pray to ask God's guidance for your purpose, today.
23. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants
and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
24. Drink green tea and plenty of water.
Eat blueberries, broccoli, and almonds.
25. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
26. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires,
issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control.
Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
A lot easier to say than do
27. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and
dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.
Then I guess it is fast food every night??
28. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
29. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
Forgive them for everything!
Been there - done that - doing that
30. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
On yes, they do :)
31. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
I beg to differ....
32. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
A present? I'm getting a present?
33. Don't compare your life to others.
You have no idea what their journey is all about.
I have sure preached that one a lot
34. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
Totally false. Seen too many people in despair who have no energy left to smile
35. Frame every so-called disaster with these words:
'In five years, will this matter?'
And in 100 years, you will be dirt.
36. Help the needy, Be generous! Be a 'Giver' not a 'Taker'
But sometimes, we have to learn how to 'take' and to accept
37. What other people think of you is none of your business.
But sure interesting
38. Time heals everything.
39. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
40. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick.
Your friends will. Stay in touch.
Forever and always
41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
Putting it in perspective is a good idea
|How do you read quotes?|